The Evolved Packet Core (EPC) connects mobile subscribers to the carrier’s infrastructure and to the internet. It provides authentication, roaming, accounting and security functions as a complex interconnected set of services that historically have been provided by vendors as monolithic vertically integrated solutions on proprietary hardware platforms.
OMEC™ is the first full-featured, scalable, high performance open source EPC. OMEC has been optimized to handle the ensuing onslaught of devices coming online as part of the move to 5G and IoT. It is designed to be used as a stand-alone EPC, and is also an upstream project for the COMAC platform that (among other things) is integrating both mobile and fixed subscriber management functions.
OMEC is built using an NFV architecture and includes
- Complete connectivity, billing and charging capabilities
- 3GPP Release 13 compatibility
- Support large numbers of subscribers with a high performance DPDK based dataplane
- Optimization for lightweight cost effective deployments and IoT applications
- Integrated CI/CD test and verification capabilities
OMEC includes the following EPC and Charging components:
- SGW-C, PGW-C (Includes embedded PCEF), SGW-U, PGW-U, MME, HSS, HSS Database, Diameter Capability, PCRF, Forwarding Policy Control SDN Controller, CTF, CDF, SGX Billing Router
CLI, Logging and Statistics Interface APIs to VNFs
- DPDK based traffic generator for testing S1u and Sgi user planes
- Deployment automation for bringing up core network VNFs, associated networking, package installation, provisioning, x and configuration
The Mobile TST oversees the SD-RAN, SD-Core and OMEC projects and is responsible for all technical decisions.