We want to take a moment to highlight people and contributions that are making a substantial difference across our amazing communities.
Table of Contents (alphabetical)
- Aether Aether™ is ONF’s new Enterprise-5G/LTE-Edge-Cloud-as-a-Service system. Aether provides mobile connectivity and edge cloud services for distributed enterprise networks, all provisioned and managed from a centralized cloud. Based on open source components and optimized for cloud deployments, it is easy to deploy, highly scalable and designed for rapid new service onboarding in a multi-cloud environment. Aether is a highly flexible system that empowers various business models around private 5G/LTE enterprise networks that may involve, in addition to enterprises, one or more of the following: network operators, public cloud operators, vendors, system integrators and new market entrants.
- Aether White Paper
- As a token of appreciation, we mailed each active ambassador their 2020 Ambassador t-shirt and Certificate of Appreciation - thank you to all ambassadors for supporting ONF in 2020!
- ONF Ambassador Aris Risdianto attended APRICOT2020 in Australia and here’s the event report.
- Ambassador Steering Team (aka A-team) elections are coming up in March - look out for an invite to nominate new A-team members and voting instructions.
- The A-team recently amended the election process. The updated election and governance information can be found from the Ambassador Program wiki pages.
- Prepared demos for the OCP conference (unfortunately the OCP was cancelled due to COVID-19).
- Added license header for config files.
- Setup satellite terminal in ONF Menlo Park office to provide internet service.
- Began enforcing license checks through FOSSA and REUSE for pull requests in Jenkins builds.
- New procedures are supported in MME now, it includes Service Request to reestablish the user tunnels. Successfully getting used in the Aether live network.
- Sercomm eNB is now available for Aether network.
- PCO options are supported in MME now. PCO is transparently send to the UE. SGW/PDN GW now supports the DNS address in PCO. SPGW, can update the DNS addresses in the config file. This will trigger the new DNS address to be sent to newly attached UEs
- Configuration update for the SPGW/MME pods in K8s environment is successfully tested.
- ONF Community has started to revitalize the ONF Skills Certification program (aka OCSP or ONF Certified SDN Program).
- Many of you offered to step up to update the existing exams and generate training material to support it. If you are one of them, now is the time to join the program.
- Our exam delivery partner, ITPreneurs, has agreed to help with project managing the content development efforts and will be part of the program team.
- We have also identified a very capable community leader for this effort - Levi Perigo, Scholar in Residence and Professor of Network Engineering at the University of Colorado Boulder College of Engineering & Applied Science. Levi has agreed to be a point-person for re-creating, testing, and fine-tuning the exams.
- Please join the ONF Skills Certification google group.
- ONF has introduced and is starting to enforce Contributor License Agreements (CLAs)
- A CLA is a legal document in which a contributor states they are entitled to contribute the code/documentation/translation to the project they’re contributing to and are willing to have it used in distributions and derivative works. This means that should there be any kind of legal issue in the future as to the origins and ownership of any particular piece of code, then that project has the necessary forms on file from the contributor(s) saying they were permitted to make this contribution.
- The CLA also ensures that once a contributor has provided a contribution, they cannot try to withdraw permission for its use at a later date. People and companies can therefore use that software, confident that they will not be asked to stop using pieces of the code at a later date.
- Whenever a non-ONF employee wants to submit a contribution to an ONF open source project, they must first sign a CLA. This allows the contributor to retain their ownership in the code submitted while granting ONF the necessary legal rights to use that contribution. The CLA only needs to be signed once and it covers all unrestricted Apache 2.0 ONF projects.
- For more information please refer to ONF CLA Manager and ONF CLA Information.
- As usual, if you are interested to see all community contributions, please visit ONF Community Dashboard.
- Integrated Stratum over the CASSINI white-box packet-optical transponder, with a great community effort from the team at PLVision networks, to which we owe a big thanks! Great work also on the ONF side from Maximilian Pudelko, Yi Tseng, and Brian O’Connor.
- Included new Openconfig gNMI drivers for Stratum thanks to Yi Tseng from ONF.
- Extended BER capability with GUI and CLI thanks to PALC networks.
- Worked towards OFC demos with Czechlight, TIP, and Edgecore.
- Conducted group review on two draft new addenda of the ONF TR-512 Core Information Model
- TR-512.13 Party. It models the concepts relating to “who”, such as person and organization. The modeling approach taken is to factor out all party related information into a separate set of classes and to reference it from the rest of the model as required. This document doesn't propose a full, robust enterprise grade party model as it is targeted at supporting a network management environment only.
- TR-512.14 Location. It models the concepts that relate to 'where' something is. The modeling approach taken is to factor out all location related information into a separate set of classes and to reference it from the rest of the model as required. This document doesn't propose a full, robust enterprise grade location model as it is targeted at supporting a network management environment only.
- The draft TR-512.13 and TR.512.14 documents have been shared with TM Forum via liaison statements ONF_LS_007_OIMT_to_TMF_on_LocationAndParty.zip (February 4, 2020) and ONF_LS_008_OIMT_to_TMF_on_Update_to_LocationAndParty.zip (February 18, 2020).